Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Reasons for Billy Graham's successful ministry

Melva Campbell, teacher of our women's Sunday School class, just returned from a graduation in the Seattle area. Jerry Jenkins, coauthor of the "Left Behind" series with Tim LaHaye, was the commencement speaker. Jerry spoke some about the series, but more about the 13 months he spent with Billy Graham. Billy had asked Jerry if he could help him to write his memoirs in "Just As I Am". Jerry spent days in Billy's library and then days interviewing Billy.

"If you could give only two reasons for why God has blessed your long ministry as an evangelist, what would they be?" Jerry asked at one point.

"Unceasing prayer," was Billy's fairly quick first response.

"What do you mean by 'unceasing'?" Jerry queried.

"Oh, you know, that on-going inner conversation I have with the Lord from the time I awake until the time I fall asleep," Billy answered.

"What about the second reason?" Jerry prodded.

"Daily time spent in the Word of God," Billy finally decided after some thought. "I always spend some time in the Word every morning. Sometimes I read & meditate on only a couple of verses, other days I read a long passage. I usually leave my Bible open & often will return later in the day to meditate further or read the context if I only started with a couple of verses."

" What happens on those days that you are too busy to get into the Word?"

Jerry said that Billy looked puzzled for a few moments. He slowly responded, "Well, I can't really answer that question, Jerry. I can't think of a day in my life with the Lord that I haven't been in the Word."

What a response!! Can any of you say the same? No wonder the Lord has used such a man to reach thousands upon thousands of souls with a clear, simple presentation of the gospel.

Jerry went on to say he had traveled to spend those months with Billy, thinking he could really help Billy in writing the book. He left Billy, knowing he was the one who had benefitted in countless ways by his time spent with this man of God.

2 comments:

Eagle-eye Di said...

It is so important to be in His Word every day.I really feel it when I have slacked alittle because of other things coming into that particular time slot.Yes we should be in continual prayer also,never wavering.If our minds were always prayerful minded,maybe it would deter us more from living our days out more Christ like.Cary I do enjoy your posts.Keep up the good work because it sure is being used by the Lord.

strider1971 said...

this is so true. if we don't spend consistent time in the word and prayer we find ourselves in trouble with our attitude and actions.

 
Blog Designed By C-AA