Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Dressing-up on May 1st or Iyar 13th (Jewish Calendar)

This week's Power Sunday School paper ended with a Dwight L. Moody quote: " The Scriptures were not given to increase our knowledge but to change our lives." My devotions are becoming application-oriented as I take this quote to heart. Character traits of Christ that I need in my life can be role-played until they are mine. "Putting on Christ" is like the story of the man who had to wear a mask to make him look much nicer than he actually was. He wore it for years. When he finally took off the mask, he found his own face had grown to fit it. What had begun as disguise had become a reality. Can this be part of the reason God has ordered us to "dress up like Christ"? Of course, in actuality the Holy Spirit does all the work as I make myself available.

I also plan to focus on implementing some of the stepped suggestions to good health from "Fitness for Seniors", which I have been reading this Spring.

1. I have purposefully increased the activity level in my day. I try to find reasons to walk up & down our stairs multiple times a day. Louis can hardly believe how quick I am to serve him in all the "go-for" tasks. Like Jeannie, I am thoroughly relishing my walks in our neighborhood. Tomorrow our Wednesday Hiking Group starts again rain or sunshine. The Spring weather has given me all sorts of great raking, planting, watering, clipping, etc. exercise as I soak in my Vitamin D. Today I washed the car, so I am certain that we will have rain for our first hike.

2. Making sure that I drink at least 8 glasses of water/tea/fruit juice a day was my second step. Some days when I am at home that is not too hard to do. Shabbat & Sunday services make this more difficult on the week-end...as liquids are not allowed in the sanctuary. This step alone has greatly cut down my appetite.

As I take more steps, I'll try to note them on the blog.

2 comments:

Eagle-eye Di said...

I just finished reading your post this morning and drank it all in.Can that count for one of my glasses of water intake? Thank-you for your insights which will be taken at heart for myself also.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, really good thoughts here! This was so good to read! Thanks, Cary.

 
Blog Designed By C-AA