Sunday, June 03, 2007

Bitterroot (Lewisia Redivia)






















June 1st, Ari & I took a walk up Antrim Point, (the conservancy land south of us). Pink & white Bitterroots were in bloom everywhere!! These elusive blooms have a two week lifespan. They are the Montana state flower & our valley is named for them. Their roots were a staple for the Indians who lived here when Lewis & Clark came through.

3 comments:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

So have you ever tried bitterroot roots?

CML_Shearings said...

Carol-Ann, I haven't ever tried eating the roots. All the history books of this area talk about the Indians eating them, so I would need to look at a couple of those books for details on how you would cook them. Also, I wonder if I could be fined for digging up a few on the conservancy land. That's the only place I've seen them around where we live.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

:) First thing that comes to mind is that I hope they are not like mushrooms and toad stools! There must be SOME reason why the eating of these seems to be conveyed with wonder only through history books!

 
Blog Designed By C-AA