"Ma'on" is the Hebrew transliteration for "dwelling-place" in English. It's root also means cohabitation, to be married & conjugal rights. That's how intimate we are to be with our God in whom we live & have our being.
We think of our homes or dwelling-places as our protective shelter. We are the sheep & our Shepherd is also the sheepfold in which we can lie down safely. David understood this and wrote about it in Psalm 34:7 The angel of the LORD encamps all around those who fear Him, and delivers them. Psalm 125:2 As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the LORD surrounds His people from this time forth & forever. Psalm 71:3 Be my strong refuge, to which I may resort continually; You have given the commandment to save me, for You are my rock and my fortress. The Psalms are full of such images - Psalm 9:10, 17:8, 27:1 & 5, 37:39-40 and so many others. Other references: Colossians 3:3, 2 Samuel 22:2-3, Isaiah 4:5-6, Jeremiah 16:19, Joel 4:16. I could go on & on.
While facilitating the study in Habakkuk this Fall, I memorized & meditated on a dozen or more Scripture verses. At a time when a well-known Christian TV host is predicting a massive terrorist strike in the USA around or after September 2007, my mind returns to a couple of those verses. Psalm 62: 6-7 He only is my rock & my salvation, my stronghold; I shall not be shaken. On God my salvation & my glory rest; the rock of my strength, my refuge is in God.
God is sovereign. He is still on His throne & working behind the scenes to bring about His purposes. Everything that happens in 2007 will in the long run turn out for my best good & His glory as I rest in Him, my dwelling-place.




4 comments:
Hi Cary!
I haven't seen you in forever. I hope you are all well.
We did receive your gifts, and I am a total heel for not contacting you sooner to thank you.
THANK-YOU!
The gifts were the only ones we opened before we left on our trip. Elli feels like the queen of the world in her new watch and Tano is never far from that little organizer. It fits in his wallet, so he takes it everywhere he goes. I am anxious to fill up that photo album with years of photos I am behind on making prints of.
Again, thanks and I'm so sorry we haven't connected with you in person. My life is getting busier and busier as we ramp up for Young Life in Corvallis. I will soon be on the sub list for the school, plus I am starting up an after-school homework help center down there three afternoons per week (want to come down and tutor once in a while?), and also starting some evening events. Crazy.
Let's talk soon.
Sherry
Cary, thanks so much for taking the time to write this post! It is really good! I know I will return here to meditate on it again.
Back again--just had to read through this again. I've been thinking on it for the last several days. I'm so glad you wrote this out, helping me to imagine myself dwelling "in" God (not just near Him).
Oh, by the way, I just now looked up all the references you gave at the end, and found that the book of Joel ends with chapter 3, not 4. So, "Joel 4:16" is really Joel 3:16.
Thanks for the correction, Jeannie. You're right...not sure how the "4" got in there. Ron stopped by this afternoon for a chat. He appears to have enjoyed his trip to Michigan & Kentucky, but especially his time with Diane & family. Thankfully he planned his return trip around the big snowstorms.
Post a Comment