Thursday, January 04, 2007

Lolo Peak Hike - Late Fall 2006

The Hallelujah Hikers' last Fall hike was on a nose-biting, ear-chilling day. We drove to the Lolo Peak Trailhead where there was only a skiff of snow and some Fall color left in the foliage. Once on the trail, the snow was 2-4 inches deep with questionable traction for those of us not foresighted enough to wear something other than tennis shoes for the hike. We all hiked for over 2 hours before I started to develop a severe earache & decided to

turn back. I had awakened that morning with congestion & a headache, but had not wanted to miss the hike. This was the first hike that I regretted going on with this dear group. My sneakers had turned from sloggy to ice,
my fingers & nose were numb, I nearly slid over the edge of the trail & down the steep banks when the snow deepened to almost 6 inches & I turned around.
My hike back was alone, so I was able to hear the forest sounds that our chatting had blocked out. I heard & saw several squirrels, a variety of birds & wondered if a bear was following me. I kept hearing snapping twigs behind me. At one point I heard a loud whoosh & the wing of the owl, ( not bear after all), who had been accompanying me nearly grazed my head. This owl flew from branch to branch watching my progress down the snowy trail until I was within a half mile of the trailhead. About that time I saw this neat, almost drift-woody photo opportunity. If I could have transported it back to my yard, I'm sure I could use it as a great focal point in a flowerbed arrangement.


The rest of the hikers returned to the trailhead about 30 minutes later than I did. None of them had reached the destination we had set for ourselves. We'll try again in the Spring to reach Lolo Peak.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! Thanks for posting them!

CML_Shearings said...

I still do not know how to position them well with the text, Jeannie. Any pointers?

Anonymous said...

We'll work on that as soon as can.
I'm glad to be of help to you!

Anonymous said...

Hey, tell ya what . . .
My work on your blog can be in trade for that beautiful piece of "driftwood". Ha ha, just kidding! But that is one incredible hunk of wood!

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Hi CML
Just dropping in to say hi and let you know you had a visit!

Once again, great pixs! I like your hiker reports!

Eagle-eye Di said...

I enjoyed seeing your beautiful photos and reading about your hike.I am surprised you didn't have froze toes by the time you got back.My hands would never have made the trip.

 
Blog Designed By C-AA