Saturday, May 24, 2008

Hissy Fits


Misha, Esther's boyfriend for the past year, gave her a 6-week-old tiger kitten for her 20th birthday. They named her "Shadik", (BellaRussian for "Marble"). Esther's 11-12 year old cat, Rachel, has not welcomed the kitty into her territory. She usually sits in some high position above Shadik & alternates between growling & hissing whenever Shadik ventures too close. We have allowed some of this interchange, hoping it would change. After awhile, though, we usually separate the two. Rachel gets to roam the upstairs & Shadik is confined to the basement.
At times, when Esther has pushed the limits to "get her own way", I realize I am capable of hissy fits. I am ashamed to admit it. Yet, it's true. When I realize what is happening, sometimes I separate myself for awhile so we can both cool down & develop some perspective. This past week, I spontaneously decided to drive to the Missoula theater showing "Narnia II" to escape such an episode. I enjoyed the movie & did cool down. Because Hollywood never quite comes up to my imagination, I always leave movies, based on books I have enjoyed, a little disappointed. "Narnia II" is still worth seeing, since Aslan/the Messiah is uplifted. Now, if I can only learn to uplift my Messiah through my responses to my daughter's occasional badgering.

1 comment:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

"Hissy Fits"! Ha! Doesn't that term paint the picture! Funny, when I first clicked on to this post I thought that was the name of the new kitten! If I were looking for a new hobby, it would be fun to collect unusual names of pets -- a blogger buddy of my sister's says she had a cat named "Dog"!

 
Blog Designed By C-AA