Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Photo opportunities lost

It's a soupy brown-grey morning due to the smoke of our nearby forest fires. Louis has been experiencing chest pain after mowing the lawn & other yard work. I can both smell & taste the smoke while working in the garden or watering. In these present circumstances, I have missed two great photo ops. because my camera was not ready to capture the scene.

For a couple of weeks we have noticed a large amount of fall apples when we first let the dogs out in the morning. (Yes, it is now two goldens. Genny is back here with Ari, since our friend, Jan Hall is in a rehab. unit near the hospital for the present. We are grooming Genny & generally caring for her until we know what Jan will have to do long-term.) Some of the apples had been partially bitten - not pecked...clearing the chickens. One evening at dusk, I chanced upon the culprit. A medium-sized doe was standing on her back legs & gingerly picking apples off our trees in her fully stretched-out form. Mind you, these are still green apples that the wasps are not interested in yet. I quietly called Louis to also watch what had been happening before we scared her away.

Where was my camera?

Last week-end my extended family celebrated my parents' 60th wedding anniversary. On Saturday we all drove up the Bitterroot Valley past Sula to eat at the Broad Ax Lodge. A couple of Highway 93 curves before the Sula store, a small flock of wild mountain goats sauntered across the highway in front of us. The rams led the way, followed by the ewes, some with young kids. Now, where was my camera? I had even forgotten to bring it for this important family occasion. The next day we hosted a community potluck at my folk's church after the worship service to honor my parents' special day. I had still forgotten to pick up that camera in my rush to gather all the food & decoration items.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Cary! What great pictures (almost)! Ha ha ha! Oh well. Thanks for describing the scenes anyway.

strider1971 said...

well awesome to hear about it all. sounds like you've been busy and it is understandable how one can for get a camera.

 
Blog Designed By C-AA