One of the principles I taught my 4th grade Sunday School class over a year ago has been returning to me as I'm jogging my 31/2 miles on the treadmill or just working in the kitchen.
I can be at peace in the midst of any storm because my God is Sovereign! We defined the word sovereign by the words within it...God reigns over this world. He always has the deciding vote and can turn around any situation to suit His purposes and will. I am believing Him for that very basic fact as it applies to my family. In the meantime, in my devotions I have started to once again study the Hebrew names of God. A couple days ago I did a word study of EL SHADDAI - God Almighty. The first time this word/name is used is in Genesis 17:1. "When Avram was 99 years old, Adonai appeared to Avram & said to him, ' I am EL SHADDAI. Walk in my presence & be pure-hearted.' Adonai had not spoken like this to Avram for 13 years, since Hagar bore him Ishmael (Avram's son of the flesh.) Now Ishmael, being 13 years old, was considered a grown up & responsible male. God was rejecting this 13 year old as the heir of the covenant between Him and Avram; He would institute circumcision as the sign of that covenant and tell Avram that his son of the Spirit would be born of Sarai; He also renamed Avram (exalted father) to Avraham (father of many) and Sarai (mockery) to Sarah (princess). First though, ADONAI revealed a part of His nature: EL SHADDAI - the One who reigns in power. He is so powerful, He can create life where there is death. That is, EL SHADDAI would create Isaac (laughter) from a 100 year old man and 90 year old woman. In Hebrew, Isaac is made with three consonants. The first is a tzadee with a numerical value of 90. The last is a kof with a numerical value of 100. Between these two letters is a chet which is often used in Jewish necklaces and pins, etc. to symbolize life since it begins chaim the word which means life. So EL SHADDAI would take a 90 year old and a 100 year old and between them create life. That life would become heir of the covenant and father Israel/Jacob.
God took the initiative by appearing to Avram, speaking to him, commanding him and promising things to him. Because of who EL SHADDAI was, Avram/Avraham was to do 2 things. 1. Walk in God's presence. (Although God is omnipresent and Avram was always walking in God's presence, I understand this as a synonymous way of saying "Fear the LORD" or walk consciously in my presence, knowing I hear every word you say & see every action & judge every thought & attitude & motive.) 2. Be pure-hearted. The Hebrew word for pure-hearted is tamiym and has the meaning of pure, complete, entire, whole, integrity, sincere, without blemish or spot.
As I meditated on these things and asked God to apply them to my life. I am reminded that at a time when the fleshly works I have born have matured, I am aware that they do not satisfy or complete me. In fact, they are extremely frustrating and destroying my dreams and peace. The Almighty, Sovereign God reminds me not only who He is, but that I am unable to do for myself what He asks. He alone can circumcise my heart, enable me to fear Him and be whole-heartedly His. I expect Him to take over from here and create life out of the ashes of my poor attempts to please Him in my way.
Wednesday, March 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment