Wednesday, February 15, 2006
Transformers vs. Immutability
Back in the 1970's and 80's, Louis and I spent almost all our vacation time from the Army Nurse Corps enjoying Montana's gorgeous Autumns. Louis would hunt deer and I would visit with my sister and parents. My sister had two sons who for several years loved those sleek miniature cars and trucks that with a click or slide of a part or two became monsters of the mechanical or human types. This past month has been such a ride! One moment I am sitting back in my circumstances, enjoying the life God has allowed. My hand is lightly touching the cool, apparent solidness of my environment and my mind is supposing that I had something to do with creating all this pleasantness. The next moment, something or Someone behind the scenes tweaks one or two small parts of my safety zones and my circumstances have morphed into terrifying ones where I am clinging to a raging beast by my sweaty fingers & praying like mad. My illusion of any control or influence is broken and I am much more sanely aware of my total dependence on my God. Since I am not yet comfortable in discussing the details of all the transforming, I am just relating my underlying feelings. I am also praising the Lord for His immutability! When all else around me changes frighteningly, I can count on His character to remain unchanging. "The Name of the Lord is a strong tower. The righteous run into it and they are safe." ...whenever they experience those 9/11 moments, days or longer!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
Thanks for sharing, Cary! You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers, and I'm so glad to get a glimpse into what you're going through. I also appreciate the reminder that God is the only Rock we can stand on, the only One in control of our circumstances, and the only certainty in uncertain times!
Dear CML!
We must encourage each other in the Lord, always, even when we are unsure of the full scope of each other's circumstances!
Recently, Psalm 35 has become a powerful and healing place of prayer for me when I don't know how to pray. In the "newer testament" we are taught definitely that we do not wrestle against flesh and blood in our struggles and sorrows on this earth! So, applying this concept to the groanings of the Psalmist in the "older testament" has placed it in a perspective that I somehow find myself more able to grasp. I pray this Psalm not against visible people in my life but against those wicked and destructive forces of evil that challenge and wage spiritual battle against everything, yes, everything that God intends for good in my life (and yours)!
The fitting and snapping into place of the spiritual armor in Ephesians 6 has always captivated my attention. But here in this Psalm, David calls on the Lord God Almighty HIMSELF -- the One we know to be the Creator and Sustainer of the Universe -- to take up HIS armor, HIS shield, HIS spear and javelin and to prepare HIMSELF for battle to come to David's aid! Incredible!
I just had four little pre-teens at an impasse with each other upstairs. I let them fight it out until the one that belongs to me came and fell into the chair in my office, swamped with tears and frustration. Suddenly, my irritation (that at this time of "maturity" in their lives they couldn't sort out their squabbles on their own) was replaced with a rush of compassion and MOTHER stood up! The looks on their faces when they simply saw me rise to my feet was an indication right there that the "battle" was OVER!
Oh! Let GOD ARISE! Let the enemy (the rulers and powers and spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places) be absolutely thwarted! And may the end result in our lives be as Ephesians 6 ends: may "peace...and grace be with all those who love our Lord Jesus Christ with a love incorruptible"!
Standing with you, friend, and praying.
****
I lift up my eyes to the hills—where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.
Post a Comment