Sunday, March 27, 2005
One set of puppies arrived!
Birdie successfully delivered seven puppies on Good Friday. J. came and assisted in the deliveries of puppies 3, 4 and 5...the first animal deliveries she had witnessed. It was almost as fun to watch J. enjoying her new experience, as watching the puppy births. My daughter actually resuscitated the last puppy, which had come out droopy and not breathing after the initial stimulation. She continued the stimulation of rubbing, blowing, stoking, etc. until she got a response. Then she spent all evening and night watching over the pup - making sure it got several drinks of milk despite the weak sucking reflex & competition of six other wriggling bodies rooting around for nipples that smelled of bitch's milk. Tonight all is well with that litter. Birdie is relaxed and resting between her occasional checking of each puppy with her eyes and tongue. Pi, on-the-other-hand, has had her temperature drop from the 101 degree F. range to 98.6 degrees. She should deliver within 24 hours. We should have an Easter litter for our friend. Refusing her meal this evening was another indication that more deliveries are imminent. My husband took the first watch of six hours and then hit the bed, snoring within 5 seconds. Now I am checking the doggy nursery between blog sentences. Nothing is quite so fascinating as new life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Oh, Carrie...I'm so happy to hear that seven puppies arrived safely! It was a wonderful, incredible experience for me to witness and assist with some of those births--an experience that has stayed with me, and one which I will never forget. Thanks for letting me share in the miracle of new life!
P.S. I just realized I spelled your name wrong...sorry, Cary.
Post a Comment