Friday, March 11, 2005
First Jobs
My sixteen year-old daughter is applying for a job at Cold Stone Creamery. She has two friends, who were on her high school basketball team, who already work there and like it. Two weeks ago, she picked up the application for employment and filled it out. She returned it the next day. In a week, she was called in for what the manager called an "audition". She and a dozen other teens were present to answer questions, make up singing jingles and try to make a good first impression. Now a week later, she was phoned and asked to come for a regular interview. Each step of the process has created a case of nervous second-guessing and mannerisms in my daughter. Now she awaits the final call to find out if she landed a job, which starts at minimal wage. This brings back so many memories. Sometimes I'm plain happy that I am no longer a teen, no longer trying to decide who I really am and what I might want to do with the rest of my life. All this, while I am also trying to impress the boys or managers of businesses. Yes, I am satisfied to be in my mid-life while watching her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment