Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Neat Way to Remove a Tick

After picking off so many ticks on a couple of our Spring hikes, I asked around  
about the best way to remove one that had gotten imbedded.  So far I 
have been fortunate to find every tick on me before it broke the skin.  
However, I may have to remove one while being the Camp Utmost nurse.

I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove
a tick. This is great, because it works in those places where it's some
times difficult to get to with tweezers.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the
soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick
will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift
it away. "This technique has worked every time I've used it, (and that
was frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier
for me,"  said the MD.  Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see
that this would be damaging in any way. 

How neat is that?!

2 comments:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Wish the answers to all nursing challenges were that simple! I sure does pay to ask around!

Anonymous said...

We might have to try that some day- though I'm hoping the ticks are few and far between. Thanks for the tip!

 
Blog Designed By C-AA