Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Strengthening my core...

A year ago I was experiencing enough sciatica on my right side to give me motivation to try something new to help my lower back. I began taking a semi-private pilates class once a week with Kate J. in the blue top below. Pilates slowly increases your flexibility & strengthens your core muscles, which in turn take the stress from your lower back. A year later, I am now without the sciatica, am much more flexible & have started a second pilates class. It is a mat pilates class that the club gives free to the members, but it is much harder than working out on the "reformer" above or the "cadillac" below. The exercises include a lot of stretching, but also include push-ups, pilates sit-ups done very slowly & other exercises that make me break out in a sweat as I do them. As I have continued the semi-private classes, I have been praying for Kate & Elaine, the other student - a fifty year-old, second grade teacher. God has also been impressing on me I Timothy 4:8...bodily exercise profits a little, but is temporal. Exercise in godliness profits for eternity. So I have asked Him to give me exercises in that area as well. It's kind of like asking God for patience, however. Exercises that build the fruit of the Spirit & help me die to my "camel, old nature" also make me break out in a sweat. I leave my comfort zone, yet strengthen my real core...my character that I will live with for eternity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admire your discipline! Sounds like pilates is a great exercise. I'm sure I couldn't begin to do it! Well, maybe if I started out slowly... That is a great verse too. Thanks for the thoughts.

CML_Shearings said...

It's great to see you on my blog, Kylie! You could easily do pilates if as you said, you started out slowly. After having children, it would be a good stomach toner. I had several abdominal surgeries because of my severe endometriosis, so my abdominal muscles were especially weak & I had a lot of scar tissue.

 
Blog Designed By C-AA