Now that the holidays are past, I'm back into the weekly schedule of leading the Neighborhood Women's Bible Study, teaching the puggles in the AWANA's nursery, continuing my support of Louis's ministry in Beth Tephila, taking pilates classes to strengthen my core & keep the sciatica away, caring for our mini-farm & paying bills, etc.
The New Year has brought some fresh beginnings:
. One of the sons of our Asst. Pastor, Lt. Erik Oberg, left Tuesday the 6th of January with 120 soldiers of the Montana Army National Guard for a year long tour of duty in Iraq. Erik is the father of three. His youngest son, Ryan, is one of the puggles I teach. Erik is the detachment commander of the 639th Quartermaster Supply with around 50 of those 120 soldiers under his command. He showed his godly leadership at Christmas. He & his wife decorated a small Christmas tree with tags of all the names of the soldiers under him. Each tag also held some minimal facts about that specific soldier. They placed the tree at the back of our church, where folks from our church family could choose a young soldier to "adopt" for the year by taking his tag. In taking a tag, we were pledging to pray daily for that particular soldier. We can also write or even send care packages to that soldier as the Lord moves us. However, it is the prayer commitment that Erik & Sabrina were seeking to share with us. I chose a SPC Andrew A., who is single, 21 years old & from Helena - my hometown from the age of 3 until I was in 9th grade. I have asked the Holy Spirit to help me be faithful in my prayer pledge for Andrew. I plan to pray daily for Erik & the entire detachment, as well. One new responsibility before the Lord for 2009!
. The evening before Erik & his unit left Montana, my beloved Hebrew/Greek teacher, Chuck N., left this life for eternity with the Lord. You saw Julie, Chuck's wife, in one of my October entries about my trip to Spokane. The day after Julie & I ate lunch together at that Spokane diner, she & Chuck drove to Missoula to visit friends at Grizzley Peak - where they had lived several years & where I went for my Hebrew & Greek lessons. Chuck experienced seizure symptoms & spoke gibberish during that drive, so they drove directly to St. Patrick Hospital. Chuck had a grand mal seizure during his diagnostic work-up leading to a shoulder injury. He was diagnosed with four primary glial tumor sites in his brain with a terminal prognosis of weeks to months. Chuck suffered through surgeries, radiation & chemo. treatments and all the symptoms that his condition gave him with the faith of a mature & godly man. Julie has been with him & supporting him 24/7. He told us shortly after his diagnosis was made that his body was the Lord's & whatever the Lord wanted to do with that body was "ok" with him. His & Julie's sterling witness continued during his hospitalizations in Missoula & later in Spokane.
Although gibberish came out more often than not, Chuck was able to say clearly, "The Lord be with you," the day before he left the hospital to be driven back to Spokane. It was our last time to see him in this life. I look forward to reuniting sometime soon.Chuck's passion for decades, next to his love for the Lord & Julie, was studying the Word in its original languages. He passed that passion on to several of his students. Whenever someone speaks negatively or with gossip, I often mentally compare them to Chuck who frequently replied to such behavior with, "I resemble that". How he surprised me the first time he said that, as I thought at first that he was going to say, "I resent that". It's amazing how Chuck's character was on display through comments like that & through his compassion for others. We will miss him & uphold Julie in prayer. She still has an elderly mother with senile dementia & other health problems to care for. I am praying for my dear friend, Julie, even as I have been since mid-October. I take this responsibility seriously.
. During the current warfare in Gaza & elsewhere in Israel, we have begun to receive "hate" phone calls. Our home phone number is the listed phone number for Beth Tephila in both the phone book & local paper. We count it a privilege to be identified with God & His people.
. Our snow alternated with rain mix has created interesting quilted patterns in the yard & on the roofs. Now the continued rain has created some treacherous ice fields in our driveway & the paths leading to our horse & sheep feeding troughs and to the chickenhouse. The flooding in the Seattle area & tons of snow in Spokane, make us appreciate our ice more than we would normally.




2 comments:
Hi Cary,
It is always sobering to read of such physical sufferings as your friends have been through. This is quite the list for the new year! I really like the Christmas tags idea! May look for a place to use that kind of thing next year at our church!
God knew Chuck was totally submitted to Him, so He created a real witness through the brain biopsy & other diagnostic procedures, the two shoulder surgeries, two abdominal surgeries, the chemo. & radiation & their effects, etc...all since mid-October. He knows just how much we can take if we leave it all with Him. What a testimony to Chuck's character & commitment to the Lord!
Post a Comment