Thursday, July 19, 2007

Hair Mayo for Head Lice or as an Oil Treatment


Of the things I learned at 7th Grade Camp, the most unique was that when
one of the camper's hair was being French-braided & lice nits were found, we
discovered:
. 7th graders can respond positively when supported correctly.
. mayonnaise used as a thick hair cream or shampoo that stays on 10-12
hours suffocates the lice & actually does a better job than medicated shampoos
like "Rid" according to the MD consulted. It also costs pennies versus big bucks
when you have 18 campers to shampoo.
. 18 sets of bedding can be washed in very hot water & dried on the hottest
setting of a dryer all in one day - if you keep working on it & have three washers
& two dryers to work with.




Getting a couple of cans of hair paint & having the Director announce a "crazy
hair day" for the entire camp, along with contests, made the delousing fun & uniting!





Even the cooks at camp mayo-treated their hair & got to be part of the panel
who judged the campers' hairdo styles. Banana splits, exemption from dish-
washing detail and other similar rewards were given to the finalists.

Best of all, the mayo acted like an "oil treatment" & our hair was extra soft &
shiny when we finally got to rinse out the mayo!

4 comments:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Falling off my chair with laughter! It's so good to have you back!

Eagle-eye Di said...

Wow,this is a new way to have camp fun!This is one thing I wouldn't have dreamed of putting on the list of the nurse needing to attend to.How was your hair doo?Did you have someone take a pic of your hair doo?Funny but not so funny.I feel the itchies coming on.

CML_Shearings said...

Oh,Yes,funny in an itchy sense, which definitely motivated us all to wear the mayo for 10 hours - myself included! I had taken care of numerous tiny problems for the same lice-ridden camper for a couple of days. She just craved attention. While cutting her long toe nails or tending her scratches, the lice had ample opportunity to jump over to my head. So I didn't even think twice about wearing mayo for the day.
No, I don't think anyone took my photo thankfully. I looked similar to the cooks.

CML_Shearings said...

P.S. We had approximately 130 campers & staff at Seventh Grade Camp. I'm very thankful we only had to delouse one cabin. The next closest cabin voluntarily chose to also mayo their hair. We didn't wash & dry their bedding. We did vacuum all the padded chapel seats in the lodge, however.

 
Blog Designed By C-AA