Back when Louis and I were in San Jose this summer, we met a young woman who I believe called herself a "theophostic". Have any of you heard of this? She gazed intently at Louis and I as we were eating lunch together and then started speaking to us about our desires, our family, our finances, etc. Each comment was right on. Some of it was so personal & uncanny that it left you speachless. She commented on so many things that no one but God could have known about us...and she had just been introduced to us by our mutual friend who invited us all to lunch. Our mutual friend did not know us that well either and could not have fed her the information. Well, God allowed her to see into our heart of hearts and speak encouragement to us.
Louis has been scheduling and getting insurance authorization for another cataract surgery for this coming Tuesday. His first eye had a cataract removed back in June of 2003. He was at least twenty years younger than any other patient in the waiting room back then. His clear blue eyes were one of the physical features that attracted me to him. They evidently are more susceptible to cataracts than brown or hazel eyes. Now the other eye's cataract has obscurred his vision enough to require the surgery soon. I wonder if he will notice the mold that is just beginning to show up on the shower tile or the not so spotless floors once his operation is done. I love to read and have been known to cut corners in housework to be able to get back to a book I have started. Then there is my enjoyment of learning Hebrew, which requires study time. This year our class will continue translating in Genesis, but also start into Greek. I have been trying to memorize the Greek alphabet today. Louis says he learned it back in college. I never did. I was not a sorority girl. I have good focus, but it can be a fairly narrow focus at times, blocking out everything else. That helped me in my studies, but didn't enable me to absorb all the college culture around me. I always believed that was a good thing. Now I'm not so sure. My mind does not memorize with the rapidity it did in my twenties. Yet, to be able to glean nuggets of truth from the Word in the original languages is worth the time and effort. I hope that learning Greek, along with the Hebrew, will be like removing cataracts from the eyes of my understanding of Scripture. Of course, that carries the weight of added responsiblity before the Lord.
Wednesday, September 14, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment