
The ocean beach looked so inviting Saturday morning. We gazed at it through the condo. windows as we ate a leisurely breakfast & shared a devotion & prayer time.

When we actually started walking on the beach, the 60 degree temp. felt even cooler in the nippy breeze. We rolled up our pantlegs, but kept our windbreakers on. I had to keep drying off my glasses that would coat with salt-water droplets every so often.

About three miles down the beach is an area used for kites. Louis & I have bought spin-socks from "Catch the Wind" in Lincoln City just like the one in this photo. We fly them over our garden. They scare the birds away from our strawberries & show us which way the wind is blowing so we know how to set our sprinklers. Later in the day, I bought a 9 foot one to take back to Louis.

Have you heard of Kite-boarding or Kite-surfing? We hadn't, but we watched a couple of young men who appeared to have perfected the art of this sport.

"Roads End", this rocky promontory, was the destination of our 10 mile beach walk into the cool wind. As we neared the outcropping, we could see two different families posing for pictures.

When we arrived at "Road's End", we spoke to the Mom of one of the families. She is in the middle of the above photo. Her husband & four sons were all wearing blue shirts, while her daughter & she wore white. The other children in the photo were from the other family. She & her husband had adopted two Ethiopian brothers only two weeks before this photo session. They had driven from Yakima, Washington to meet the other family from San Jose, California for a vacation on the beach. This Mom was obviously a believer by everything she said. She spoke of hopefully leading her two new sons to the Lord. She homeschools her children. More power to her!

You can see how white my lower legs are compared to my friends' tanned ones. Well, after our 5+ hour beach walk, they had changed to a bright red sunburn. I should have used more common sense, but relished the feel of the sand between my toes & the wetness as the waves rolled in. I had put my sandals & socks back on just before this picture was snapped.

We drove down to Newport to see all the male sea lions taking their siestas near the fishing boats on the wharf. These 1000 pounders had such beatific expressions. Their barks could be heard blocks away.

Ending our Newport experience with the Marionberry cobbler at "Mo's" was so satisfying. I couldn't think of a better birthday outing.
4 comments:
Hey there, CML! Fantastic pix and such interesting stories! Loved the picture of the colour-coded family!
Thanks for your comments, Carol-Ann. Happy last day of Succot!
I have never heard of kite surfing before.It looks like something my Jeannie's son,Jim would do.The sea lions look like they are totally relaxed after having a mighty meal of fish that wash up from the boats.One more time it sounds and looks like you all really had a wonderful time.I love your pictures.What camera are you using?
Diane, I have a digital Olympus camera that Louis bought at Costco for my birthday 3 years ago.
Post a Comment