Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Simchat Torah - Rejoicing in the Law

Today was Simchat Torah - the day to celebrate & rejoice in the Law as the Torah cycle is completed for the year. Our Torah study is restarted this next Shabbat with the first few chapters of Genesis/ B'reisheet. Orthodox Jewish communities often parade their Torah scrolls & dance around them during this celebration. Beth Tephila has just bought a Torah scroll, but since a new cover is being made for it, the Torah scroll has not arrived yet from New York. We are told it is about 150 years old from Poland. Hopefully, we will learn more of its history when we receive it.
After Al's 10-day, post-op stay at our home, he returned to Sandpoint, Idaho & I drove to Spokane to pick up Esther at the airport. She had spent a week in Tampa, Florida visiting her birth Mom & extended family.

The Fall foliage along I-90 was gorgeous. This is Alberton Gorge after just passing the homes of Alberton spread along the highway for a couple miles.

I-90 was a bit wet from the rain & snow of the day before. This day was in the 60's & showed off God's creation. The tamaracks (American Larch) were at the height of their color, as were the Aspen, Cottonwoods & brush along the Clark Fork River.






Since I arrived in Spokane about 90 minutes before Esther's flight was to land, my good friend, Julie, took me to a great breakfast/lunch place in Spokane off the Maple St. exit. As you take the exit, you turn on to Walnut Street & drive about three blocks north & see "Frank's Diner" on the left before going over the river.

We were seated in this train dining car next to a fake window, through which a conductor manikin grinned at us throughout our meal. Once we started catching up on each other's lives, I was able to ignore him. Julie had Eggs Benedict & I had an Oriental Chicken Salad. Both were delicious & medium-priced. The service was excellent.
Esther arrived safely & we repeated the beautiful 3 1/2 hour drive over two passes. Missoula was just getting dusky when we turned off I-90 onto the Reserve Street exit.












No comments:

 
Blog Designed By C-AA