Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Be careful what you pray.

Do you remember my telling you about my prayers regarding the cost of keeping horses, yet Louis not wanting to sell any of our three? I took this quandry to the Lord. In January, Celeb died with laminitis. This week-end, Princess developed a twisted bowel & became septic. When we took her to the vet, the ultrasound & exam gave us the diagnosis. The vet ended up putting her to sleep. We are now down to one horse - Beauty. He giveth & He taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your horse! Sometimes God's answers aren't quite what we had in mind.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Cary, that is a gorgeous horse! Is this Beauty? If all the horses were as lovely as this one, I can understand why Louis was so reticent to part with them!

God is merciful! I can think of so many of my prayers that He didn't answer! Ha! That thought always makes me smile!

I can remember actually praying, "Oh God, I just can't take it any more! Please, please let me die!"

But then, at the first twinge of an unusual pain, you'll find that same girl gasping out phrases from Psalm 30, "What profit is there in my blood, if I go down to the pit? Will the dust praise Thee? Will it declare Thy faithfulness?"

My oh my! It takes God and God alone to be able to sort through the torrents of prayers that gush out before Him!

CML_Shearings said...

I agree with you both. Actually, the photo is of Rachel, a horse we had several years ago...I couldn't find one of Princess. But God is good. Hay, by the way, is predicted to soar to over $200 a ton & some folks are just giving their horses away. They just can't afford to feed them.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Wow! I can also see why you would be reticent to keepthem! Funny -- we are such city-slickers! I think only in terms of whether we can afford to keep putting gas into cars!

Here's another city-slicker question: how many tons of hay would a horse eat in a year! A ton of hay sounds like TONs of HAY to me!

CML_Shearings said...

Our horses & sheep eat almost a bale of hay a day. The old square bales we buy weigh anywhere from 60to 90 lbs. apiece, depending on how dry the hay is & the size of the bale by that particular farmer. In the US, we figure a ton at 2000 lbs., so we usually get 22 to 33 bales when we buy a ton of hay. That means our animals eat a ton or more of hay each month. So we usually buy 12 tons of hay each year. That used to cost around $1200, but now will double. We do not have irrigated land, so what pasture we have supplements the hay we buy from late April to late June or early July - when it has dried up. Now that we have only one horse & 8 sheep, we may be able to buy 8 or 9tons instead of 12.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Mmmmmmmmy Gracious!

 
Blog Designed By C-AA