Calving started a couple weeks ago in the Bitterroot Valley. Our lambing started yesterday. I began the evening chores early since I have nursery duty at AWANAS on Wednesday evenings. After feeding the three horses, I headed toward the back of our garage/barn. I heard a faint newborn lamb " baa" or did I imagine it? As I walked closer to the sheep feeders with my armload of fresh alfalfa hay, I noticed one of the ewes bending over her just-dropped lamb. She had licked enough of the placental filmy layers off his head that her lamb was feebly attempting to cry, while shaking his head. I dropped the hay into the feeders to keep the other sheep busy & ran to the house for water & towels. As I helped the ewe dry off the lamb, I could see she was straining with more uterine contractions. Yes! I was going to observe the miracle of new birth at least twice tonight! Another lamb's head was already protruding when I checked, so I was able to help ease the twin out into the slightly chilly world. The ewe had picked a great place between the barn & feeders. It was out of the wind, in trodden hay & away from the other sheep. I helped clean up both lambs. The next move was aiding them in finding those two all important nipples so they could drink the life-giving colostrum & milk. Then I stayed around observing the nurturing licking & hearing the tiny "baa" grunts of the ewe - waiting to see if there would be triplets. This ewe has had them before. I left for AWANAS after waiting an hour & deciding another lamb was probably not on its way.
Robins, Stellar Bluejays & Meadowlarks are showing up on the lawn & at the bird feeders. Today was a glorious, sunny 50+ degree day. So I caught the lambs with my camera after their nap in the warm hay. They are walking steadily & finding Mama's milk without trouble now.




No comments:
Post a Comment