Friday, February 01, 2008

Three guesses... now the answer

These additional photos provide the answer. We kosher all of our venison. That means we soak it in a large stock pot full of water. The weight of the water pushes out the blood, ( & most of the wild taste), from the meat & we drain off the water a couple of times a day for 2-3 days & replace it with clear water. In the winter, the counter on our porch becomes out extended refrigerator for large items. During our recent cold snap, the meat we had soaking froze, but the ice froze in this interesting way. It looked almost like some weird jellyfish sending its tentacles out to eat some of the meat. I learned a new word that fits this - cnidarian (jellyfish-like) - from Sherry's free rice vocab. game...by-the-way, there are new words now & I have gone as far as 53 in the total score.


Can you guess what this is? I was fascinated by it when I found it this past week. We are having a more typical Montana winter this year. I just spent over 2 hours shoveling out around the house & in front of our garages. It was great exercise since the snow was so heavy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No clue! Do tell!

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Well, let's see ...
Any more clues?
I just hate to give up so quick!

Bruce and Kinza were no help either! It could be the paw of a pet who was caught playing outside when a flash freeze took place!

Clues, clues!

CML_Shearings said...

You are correct when you suggest that the freezing weather caused this. The icicle looking structures are just that.. ice. Another clue? I found this on our porch.

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Well I'm glad to see the answer! It looked to me like a hard boiled egg in a pan of frozen water but I couldn't see how that could have happened! I can tell you for certain I would never have guessed a slab of kosher-izing venison in a pot of frozen water would have produced this cnidarian appearance! :)

 
Blog Designed By C-AA