Friday, December 30, 2005

Hanukkah or Christmas or both?


The first week of December, Louis and I spent in Palm Springs, California, attending a Union of Messianic Jewish Congregations Leaders' Retreat. We missed the first large snowstorm of 8 to 10 inches at home by leaving for Spokane a day early. We drove into the storm as we entered Spokane instead, but at least had dry pavement over the mountain passes. Palm Springs was a wonderful break!! We've been trying to catch up ever since then, however. Here it is, December 30th and I'm still sending out holiday greetings via the snail mail. We are celebrating Hanukkah ... lighting six candles tonight at sunset. We minimized our gift-giving this year, and have spread out our gift-opening from family over the days of Hanukkah. It's been a very different holiday season this year. We've spent time with Sandy, my former boss, the owner of Nightingale Nursing. Her husband died a couple of days before out Palm Springs trip. We've visited Ruth, another good friend, who is rapidly going downhill physically and mentally. First she was in Community Hospital and now she is at The Village Nursing Home. This week we attended two other funerals. What a time for really going HOME!

While in Palm Springs, we stayed at the home of Rabbi Alon Barak. Here are some of his thoughts, slightly edited by me, on Hanukkah.
Hanukkah or Christmas?
OK, which one do we observe? Do we as Messianic Jews compromise and do both? What is the right thing to do or is there even a right thing to do? It can be pointed out that HaShem (G-d) never demanded either Hanukkah or Christmas be observed on His List of Holy Days. Let's see what the scriptures have to say.
First, there is no mention of the early believers observing the birth of Yeshua with a holiday called Christmas or anything else. The birth of human beings was not a day of celebration in the Bible. In fact, it was a part of pagan practices.
Secondly, there is no mention of Hanukkah in the Tenach (Old Testament). How could there be? It took place during the inter-testamental period - that time between Malachi and Matthew/the period of Yeshua.
When we want our activities to be based solidly on the scripture and what pleases our Heavenly Abba, but have no definitive proof text, what do we do? We look to Yeshua! Jesus observed the holiday of Hanukkah & not his own birthday. This seems strange to us. Let's first look in John 10:22. "Then came Hanukkah in Yerushalayim. It was winter, & Yeshua was walking around inside the Temple area, in Shlomo's Colonnade." Yeshua traveled from the Galilee to Yerushalayim to observe Hanukkah, the Feast of Dedication. The tie of Hanukkah to Yeshua is easily recognizable. If Antiochus was successful in destroying Jewish identity, no one could fulfill the unique prophecies that were required of the Jewish Messiah. Antiochus was defeated, the Jewish community annually celebrated and Yeshua was there. John, who stated that he could not record everything Yeshua did, made certain that this event was added to his gospel. It was IMPORTANT. He knew that the entire Jewish population had been spared a holocaust, just as it had been in ESTHER.
Yeshua said that HE was the light of the world. So what's the center of the celebration of Hanukkah? You got it, the Menorah light. The Menorah is one symbol that G-d has repeatedly used throughout the Tenach (O. T.) and in Revelation. If there is only one symbol that Yeshua will use during His millennial reign, it is hard to find a better choice than the "light-menorah". For 3500 years, G-d has used it. It is much older than the famous "Star of David". Hanukkah celebrates light.
Hanukkah paints a picture of G-d's dramatic deliverance of his people from evil tyrants. (A shadow perhaps of Herod's slaughter of the Bethlehem babies.) We look forward to the return of Yeshua as a conquering King. The impact of Hanukkah fits this perfectly.
Is there a more appropriate time to celebrate Yeshua's birth? Of course, the actual time of His birth. Messianic Jews believe it was either during the Feast of Tabernacles in the Fall or at Shavuot (Pentecost) in May. Both dates were commanded by G-d to be observed.

Well, that is sprinkling of Messianic Jewish thought on this holiday time. What do you think?

6 comments:

Carol-Ann Allen said...

Hi CML -- you asked us what we thought! Wow! This needs the space of a full post! First, I'm glad to see you've blogged again!

When I was growing up in a remote part of Africa in the 50's and 60's it was not uncommon for children and adults to have no idea when their birthday was. It used to frustrate me as a child because I wanted to know if my friends were my age or younger or older. The parents could guesstimate the birthdate of their child by remembering which site they had used to plant their annually rotated casava farm or rice farm the year the child was born. There was simply no need to accurately follow a calendar, so no one did! In recent years, however, there has come the opportunity (and necessity because of war) to travel. Some have also moved on to other countries in pursuit of education. With travel came the need for a passport and a birthdate. (Of course there have been other reasons also why having a birthdate was important -- not just travel!) In fact, just a couple of days ago I had the marvellous moment of picking up the phone and hearing the voice of a Liberian "brother" of mine who I have not heard from since the 1970's. We were joking about the aging process and I asked him that world-of-statics and data-processing-question, "How old are you"? He laughed, and he who is now a Bishop in his denomination said, "They tell me I was born in 1957"! Interestingly, with another Liberian friend, when she was appointed a specific birthdate, it gave her an identity -- a stake in the ground -- something almost akin to the right of citizenship! Now I begin the response to your question: what do you think? I think it is wonderful that even though it is not the exact date, followers of the Lord Jesus Christ everywhere have an internationally recognized stake-in-the-ground date where we acknowledge around the globe that One was born Who brings us salvation! I'm glad it is just before the end of the calendar year for us. (I realize some countries and cultures use different calendars). But for me, the event of "Christmas" always involves a looking back over the year for purposes of celebration and confession and sets that stage of heart preparation for the New Year coming up. We know the Lord Jesus is Eternal! He has no calculable "age"! Rather than wonder which event is better to celebrate, what has always tickled me is how across the globe, Jew, Gentile, relgiously-inclined or pagan-at=heart celebrations of Light take place at this time of year. It's one of those rocks-shall-cry-forth things! So may the lighting of your six candles tonight at sunset add to the twinkle of Christmas lights from our window as we all lift Jesus higher!

CML_Shearings said...

Shalom, Carol-Ann. I loved your comments about Liberia and Christmas! Our God, who is Light, is so beyond our temporal understanding. I agree that He who reads our hearts can be honored by multiple cultural ways and times of worship. May He get all our praise! Thanks so much for your comments.

Montana Sherry C said...

Cary,
I can't believe it's been so long since I read your blog. Over the last few months, I have cut down on so many things in my life, it seems, and reading blogs has been one of them. So many on my sidebar list have gone ignored for too long. I just haven't had the personal stamina for much, it seems. Worse than our lack of blog correspondence is our lack of personal contact. I've missed you, friend. But with a new year comes a fresh wind. Let's get together soon. Can you come over one of these mornings for tea? I'll call you tomorrow to see when we can arrange a time.

May God bless you richly in this coming new year. May He stretch you and grow you all the more into a person who seeks after all of His heart with all of yours.

Montana Sherry C said...

Me again. Sorry I didn't call like I said I would. We are having a bit of a trying week, as Andy has broken his leg--check my blog for the full story. We'll talk soon, I hope.

Anonymous said...

It was so good to talk with you tonight! Thanks so much! I consider you a great friend, indeed, and appreciate how you're always looking out for my family!

"Dat Wascally Wabbit" said...

Thank you Sherry for all you wrote. I will re - read both your posts tomorrow, when I have alittle more time. Very Interesting!

 
Blog Designed By C-AA