Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Gimel - A Voice in the Wilderness

Still with unhurrying chase, And unperturbed pace, Deliberate speed, majestic instancy, Came on the following Feet, And a Voice above their beat - "Naught shelters thee, who wilt not shelter Me." Francis Thompson, "The Hound of Heaven"

Half of February has already passed before I could get back to this blog and fill you in "on the rest of the story." My first entry summarized quickly the character from which I come. Now a hint of the character which I hope to be becoming... can you believe a John the Baptiser or even Elijah?! Remember, my life story is somewhat tied up in the Hebrew letter/word, "gimel", which means "camel". These men both dressed in camel's hair. Just as camel hide was "working clothes" for them physically; they were "working clothes" of the Holy Spirit. That is my aspiration. (By the way, the second, third and fourth letters of the Hebrew alephbet - which I mentioned in the first entry - taken in order spell "beged", meaning "garment".) In the original Torah scrolls that scribes hand-copied for centuries and still do, there is only one place in Scripture where "gimel" is printed oversize. As we have intimated, the "gimel" is a spiritual person dressed up like a camel. The oversized "gimel" is found in the middle verse of the Torah/the 5 books of Moses/ Leviticus 13:33. It is located in the phrase, "v'hit'galach", meaning "And he shall be shaved." (And some people think God has no sense of humor.) I believe that God wants to remove the camel hair so as to reveal the One hidden within - the Holy Spirit - who knocked on the door of the person's life and was asked inside. Have I totally lost you in the Hebrew and theology? I hope not. The meaning of my life & who I really am is best told in this way. I married into a Levite family. Doubly Levite. My husband's father and mother were both totally Levite. Thankfully they both asked the Holy Spirit into their lives before they left this life to be with the Lord. But, that's another story for another time. If you have questions or can not follow my thoughts, I would be happy to try to explain further.

We are in the middle of lambing season. A week ago, one of our six ewes had triplets. Within a few hours, another ewe had twins. If you want to see them, look up the recent blog entries on "Portrait of the Artist..." by Sherry C. and view her great photos. The lambs are hop-skipping around the area fenced-in behind our barn/garage. It's not easy to get things done when such cute babies & their antics are in your backyard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cary, thanks for all your instructional stuff--I find it all very interesting! Regarding the adorable new babies at your house--sure would love to see them!

Montana Sherry C said...

I would love to hear more about how you came to marry into this Levite family and began to embrace a Jewish heritage for yourself. Keep writing!

Oh, and Elli can't wait to come and see the lambs again. We checked out a wonderful book at the library today by James Herriot, called Smudge, the Little Lost Lamb. In it, a particularly curious three week old lamb manages to wriggle under a fence and try out life away from the comfort of the flock and the protection of shepherd. Although the book doesn't go there, the spiritual implications are so obvious. It will be fun to explain this all to Elli, as she is so interested in baby lambs right now because of yours.

 
Blog Designed By C-AA